10.25.2004

Breakfast

My 40 day policktical fast was completed yesterday. This process was probably one of the best I've done in my life; the time in peace from politics have given me a lot of time to do better things (like this blog), and I feel much less likely to have a gut reaction to an event or idea come straight out of the Republican Party platform. Up to this point, I have still not visited the Drudge Report or Rush Limbaugh's web site, but I may after a while.

This morning, I read the Omaha World-Herald and the New York Times, but I skipped most of the stories about politics. I suspect that I felt today like what I will feel on my twenty-first birthday: I'll finally be able to do something, but I'll have no desire whatsoever to binge. The political world seems much more dull than it ever did, and I am reminded of that song: "Turn your eyes upon Jesus. Look full in His wonderful face, and the things of this world will grow strangely dim in the light of His glory and grace."

Pray for me that I don't enslave myself again to American politics: "It was for freedom that Christ set us free; therefore keep standing firm and do not be subject again to a yoke of slavery." (Galatians 5:1)

No comments: