10.04.2004

The Joys of Java (coffee, not computers)

My dad brought me up more coffee from home today. This was wonderful, because I was about 11.25 ounces through my 11.5 ounce container of coffee (the one I purchased at the beginning of this semester). I have no idea where it all went so quickly, but I love coffee. I take great delight out of my coffee routine.

First in my routine, I get my coffeemaker all set up the night before, spooning out just the right amount of coffee into the filter, and measuring out the perfect amount of water (I usually drink about five cups in the morning). After I wake up in the morning, I turn my coffeemaker on and leave to take a shower. When I get back, my room has that wonderful coffee smell, and I quickly get dressed so that I can enjoy my first taste of coffee as I'm reading the Bible or studying, or doing whatever it is that I happen to be doing that morning. Ahhh, life is good when I have my coffee!

That's why I was so upset to read that coffee is addictive. I mean, this has to be a hoax, right? I love my coffee, so it surely isn't addictive! It has no power over me. None whatsoever. I could stop drinking coffee right now if I so desired, without any side effects. I just don't particularly have such a desire. I love my coffee in a pure, unaddicted way. You don't have to worry about any addiction in me. I just like a good cup of coffee now and then.

I'm glad that's settled. I need to go to the Mill to get some studying done. and to drink some coffee.

12 comments:

Lindsey said...

Jacob,

I don't drink too much coffee because it IS addictive, but just about every morning I borrow my friend Ruth's freshly brewed coffee grounds so that when I come back from my shower, the aroma has filled my room. Pathetic, eh?

andrew said...

As one of the few college-age abstainers, I'd just like to say that I'll smoke cigarettes habitually before I drink that stuff. Though I do enjoy my tea.

Karen said...

Jacob- as a fellow coffee drinker I have to tell you about the best coffee in Lincoln. It comes from the Coffee Roaster. Now the fact that I work there doesn't mean I'm biased. I'd tell you if the coffee was horrible. The owner is a full-fledged coffee connoisseur and he roasts everything right there in the store then it goes straight to the freezer so its as fresh as you can get. He'll tell you anything you need to know about coffee.

I've realized coffee is addictive. Its not good when I still have a headache that can only be cured by coffee after already drinking two cups. I'm working on that.

Take heart, though. Your 5 cups is a lot, but I had a lady come into the Roaster who drinks 3 pots a morning, 1 at night and then tops it off with an espresso sometime later on. Comparison...it provides us with an accurate picture of reality, right?

Jacob said...

I've never actually experienced headaches from caffeine withdrawal. I know that I do get tired some days when I skip the coffee (but it's NOT because I'm addicted).

By the way, I drink five cups because that translates to two Dining Services mugs. It really doesn't seem like that much...and it's not...because I'm not addicted.

skoenig said...

my coffee addiction is genetic.

Karen said...

Who are you, Bethany? I-I don't even know you anymore.

*say, through tears, in overly emotional tone*

Lindsey said...

It is alright Bethany, take heart. I too, am a "social drinker" when it comes to coffee and am basically fine with anything other than the motoroil that comes in a tin can (sorry Jacob)but my tea-drinking habits are a little bit more, shall we say, public. Spending a month in the UK didn't help either, where you drink tea morning, noon, and night. So proudly display that Earl Grey ...

Jacob said...

Tea is good as well (not quite as good as coffee, though), but I'm not so thrilled with black teas. It's odd that I love my motoroil in a tin can (I will admit to being a Folger's drinker, although only because of its cheapness), but I think that black tea gets too strong too quickly. I do, however, like Earl Gray, because it has a sort of sweetness to it that helps quite a bit.

Now if you want to talk green teas, you would have a different story for me. I am in love with this green tea sampler put out by Bigelow; it has several flavors, and my favorites are peach green tea, lemon green tea, and--my absolute favorite--mint green tea. I think you can buy this at Wal-Mart.

I have tried white tea, but I wasn't thrilled. I will try red tea soon, just to see what it is like.

Jacob said...

I just found this story about a new caffeinated beer from Anheuser-Busch. Very soon (as soon as it hits the market, and as soon as we turn twenty-one), those of us who are addicted to caffeine (which isn't me) can get a caffeine fix from beer.

It makes you wonder--won't this just develop two addictions at the same time?

skoenig said...

yes. yes it will.
god help america.

andrew said...

you wrote:
"yes, yes it will.
god help america"

i read:
"yes, yes it will.
god bless america."

I immediately raised my glass in a hearty cheer of agreement.

MC Hendrick said...

My Dad says that if you don't drink coffee, you'll never be a man. I guess I'll never grow up then. ha