10.03.2004

Google's Downfall?

I found out about a new search engine that, according to the New York Times, is going to give Google a run for its money. Clusty the Clustering Engine apparently has a method of searching that is comparatively as good as Google's (I think it uses some sort of technology Yahoo! developed), but a method of sorting and organizing the search results that blows Google out of the water. I tried it out, and there were things I really liked about it, but there were also things I didn't appreciate so much about it. This is big news to me, because, since the dawn of Google News and Gmail, I have been anticipating Google to take over the world. (By the way, if you are really interested in either Google, Google News, or "Fair Use" issues--which is really only Ben--you should read this article about why Google is having problems getting its Google News to make money.)

Furthermore, Google has attained the status where it is beginning to be vilified, much as Microsoft has. I found this site about how Gmail is too creepy. Not much of it is that interesting unless you are a privacy nut, but I really liked this picture:

So, what's a Google afficionado to do? Well, I have just converted everything I use from Yahoo! (which gave me a great 6 years of service) to Google, and I'll be darned if I'm going to switch loyalties right after I got my oh-so-spiffy-never-mind-the-creepiness Gmail account, this Google-owned blog, a Google search engine on my navigational bar, and a membership in the Google Fan Club. So, search limitations and fair use doctrines aside, I will stand with Gmail.

7 comments:

andrew said...

I knew there was a reason I was so hesitant about this gmail thing.

Permit said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jacob said...

I deleted the last post because it had foul language in it, which I will not tolerate. Maybe I am getting tyrannical. Andrew sure is, as you can see by this comment.

andrew said...

I'm so confused.

andrew said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jacob said...

No, Andrew. That one won't work.

I was referring to where you said that your blog was yours, but that you were open to comments. It was supposed to be a joke, but obviously it flopped.

*hangs head in utter shame and humiliation*

andrew said...

Jacob,Man, this really tyrannical. No mild expletives? What dang crappy censorship.

I rate it G for gay.

P.S. I thought that's what your joke referred to but it took me a little while. So not a complete flop.