10.13.2004

I just voted.

(It was an absentee ballot.)

That's pretty much all there is to it, except to say that I don't think that I will ever again reveal for whom I vote. In the midst of my political fast, it was somewhat difficult to make an informed decision, but I prayed that God would guide me and that he would bless the election. That doesn't mean that we will have a Super Christian in every office; in fact, when Paul is writing about obeying authority, he's writing under the Emperor Nero, who was not exactly one of the most Christian rulers to walk the earth. Thus, no matter who wins the various offices up for elections, I will submit to those people, knowing that God has a reason for everything he orchestrates.

This is so much better than completely fretting about what's going to happen like I did in 2000! Now, back to Hamlet, so that I can really learn to have faith in the government!

6 comments:

andrew said...

Why keep your vote secret? Jacob, did you vote for Nader again?

Jacob said...

You never know! I might have voted for any of the people on the ballot...I'm not telling.

andrew said...

Seriously though, is there a rationale behind your "not telling"?

Jacob said...

The same reason I'm on this policktical fast: I don't want to alienate people from me because of my political views. If I tell someone that I voted for X, and that person strongly dislikes X, they have a reason for out-of-hand rejecting the more important things I have to say. I talked about these ideas in this post.

By the way, shouldn't you be working on your Hegel paper?

andrew said...

So are you never going to tell people which ice cream flavor you prefer? Or whether you like dogs or cats better? Or reveal that you're a parliamentarian? These could potentially alienate people as well.

And yes I should be writing my paper.

Jacob said...

I suppose those things may alienate others, but there is only an infinitessimally small chance of something like that happening. On the other hand, there are many people in the world who actually think that those of the respective opposite party are a blight on this world (I used to be one of them). Thus, when I am dealing with people of my respective opposite party, I think that it would perhaps behoove the more important things I have to say (i.e., the Gospel) not to reveal that I am part of that blight (in their mind).