9.28.2004

DN Extravaganza

Some of the important news of the day from our beloved college newspaper, the Daily Nebraskan:
  • Apparently, Rep. Tom Osborne (R-Neb) has switched houses in Congress to be in the Senate without my knowledge (is that even legal?). This is news to me, because I haven't been paying attention to such things. Here's the headline of the DN today: "Osborne near rocket explosion: Senator unharmed after incident" (my emphasis). As you can see, it wasn't really a political discussion, so I felt it safe to read. I couldn't find a link to the story on the DN's web site, but maybe I'll try to get this scanned and put up on my blog soon.
  • The next article that caught my eye was one entitled: "Phishing trolls for personal information as latest online scam" This brought to mind the story of how Ben, upon receiving an e-mail purportedly from eBay, signed up for identity theft by giving out his social security number, his checking account number, the user ID and password to his eBay and PayPal accounts, as well as his mother's maiden name (which is needed to get new credit cards and bank accounts). Ben later said that he did, in fact, have warning bells going off in his head, but he just hit the "Manual Override" switch because, after all, who would try to steal someone's information and use it for ill-gotten gain?
That's pretty much all for the DN today, but I thoroughly enjoyed it!

Update:

I forgot to mention that the reason Ben's story is funny is because he never actually lost any money, and (so far) no one has tried to get a credit card in his name or anything like that (Ben put a fraud alert on his credit report). I didn't want you to think I was sadistic or anything, but since no one got hurt, it is really funny!

Anyway, I also forgot to provide a link to today's letters to the editor. Most of the time, I don't read them, because what do I care what people with too much time on their hands write? (Don't think about that too much.) Anyway, read the insightful letter titled: "WWJD? Probably practice safe sex." I love his logic:

  1. Assume "hypothetically" that Jesus sinned.
  2. Would it not make sense, that, if Jesus sinned, that he would do it in a "responsible" manner?
  3. For example, if Jesus murdered someone, would he not do it in a humane (rather than torturous) way, and would he not clean everything up afterward?

Bravo, Mr. Griess! You have proven...nothing!

Unbelievable.

No comments: