9.25.2004

Marching Band

This weekend I went home (I am right now writing from my couch in Hastings). I got home extremely late last night, but this morning I turned right around and went to Norfolk for a marching band competition. I usually enjoy following my old high school's band around the state to the various competitions that I marched in during my tenure. Today was a slightly different story.

Of course, it was wonderful to hear the old parade cadences and songs, and it was great to see the band's field show, and I enjoyed seeing the seniors (those who were freshmen my senior year). My problem was that my parents had volunteered to be band trip sponsors. In other words, they rode up on the buses and made sure that the students on their bus didn't stage a revolt or anything like that.

Of course, I have no problem with my parents' being involved and volunteering. My problem came when I had to ride up on the bus with them. If you close your eyes, you can probably picture me--I looked like a sore thumb. There I was, a junior in college, riding the band bus. I wasn't a band student, but a has-been. I wasn't a Band Parent, but a tag-along. I felt like some kid who graduated a few years ago, but still hangs out in the high school parking lot in his letter jacket--he's not really cool to anyone. Self-consciousness, thy name is Jacob!

Fortunately, I escaped with a few shreds of my pride intact. Also, the extreme shame of my situation left me in a good position to get a lot of reading done, partially for school, and partially for pleasure (I will be posting on what I've been reading soon).

Now you might wonder, "Why did I even bother going home for all the torture I have gone through?" Mainly, I just wanted to do free laundry (even though I spent $20 on gas for the trip and would have spent $5 on laundry--what was I saying about logic and English majors?). It was nice to see my family, but it was they who pulled me into my plight today. Maybe I just really missed my dog.

No comments: