9.22.2004

Trans-Christianity

I heard a presentation tonight on why we (my university) need to take greater efforts to protect transgender people in areas as diverse as housing rights, restroom construction, and forms that force people to define themselves either as "Male" or "Female."

There was a time in my life (and indeed, there may be more times in my life) when I laughed dismissively at stories of how identity questioning people felt oppressed by bathrooms that made them make a choice about their genders. During that time in my life, the homosexual agenda made me want to storm Washington, D.C. in an attempt not to have other people define morality for me. Now, issues like these only leave me confused.

Don't get me wrong--I think that homosexuality is a perversion of God-ordained marital relations between one husband and his wife. Furthermore, I see the movement to gain acceptance of a transgender identity as just one more step to reject the classifications of gender given to us by God, because classifications and roles mean that there is someone to whom we are ultimately responsible. If there are no classifications and roles, everyone can define their existence for themselves.

Still, I think that there is a bigger issue here. Do we Christians approach this issue from a desire to extend God's grace to these people by pointing them to the truth, or do we just sort of write them off and wait for God's judgment on them? Do we, who are so enamored by God's grace in the context of our lives, desire justice above all for the people who call our way of thinking "oppressive," "bigoted," "homophobic," and "hateful," whether they be homosexuals, transgender people, or the liberals who believe that such lifestyles are acceptable alternatives?

If we really believe in the gospel, I think that we should be fighting for homosexuals, transgender people, and the liberals who condone such lifestyles, not against them. Think of Christ's attitude for the lost: when Jesus saw sheep without a shepherd (lost people who have no direction and therefore decide for themselves their direction), he felt compassion on them; then "He began to teach them many things" (Mark 6:34). When I say that we need to fight for these people, I mean that we need to be fighting for their souls. I in no way want to give what they are doing a pass because such actions are sins, but I also realize that I have no way to claim the higher moral ground in life. I am just as much of a sinner as they are (in fact, perhaps I am a sinner to a greater extent, because I know and claim to believe the gospel).

And this is about as far as I can get with all this. You see, I don't really think that I know what it means to "hate the sin, but love the sinner." I don't know how to love someone without muddling the fact that I believe that the Bible identifies the activities in which they are involved as sins. I don't know which issues I should support, and which I should oppose (that, of course, is off-limits right now because of my fast from politics).

So I guess the only thing I can do is pray more for all these people that I know. Even if I could come up with the perfect way to communicate Christianity--eloquently, firmly, and lovingly pointing out God's moral demands, our inability to keep them, and Jesus Christ's atoning sacrifice on the cross for everything from homosexuality to lying to murder--I have no power in myself to affect any change in the life of anyone, whether that person be homosexual, transgender, or just regular ol' heterosexual. Maybe if we as the Church of Christ spent more time praying (petitioning the throne of the Almighty God) and less time politicking (petitioning the government), we might make a bigger impact on those who need to know Christ.

What do you think?

3 comments:

Jacob said...

I forgot to mention that the main reason I have the blog Everyday Thoughts Collected on the list of blogs that I read is that Randy, the main contributor to the blog, is an ex-gay converted to Christianity, and is currently involved with Exodus International, an organization committed to reach homosexuals for Christ. He often has very interesting insights into this subject.

skoenig said...

I understand your perspective, and you frustrations. I also have been struggling with this issue. I have several homosexual friends and I have had this discussion many a time. What's a Christian to do?
Well, I agree that we are to love homosexuals, because they are sinners as much as we are sinners.
We are also supposed to love the truth--and the truth is this: Christ died for sinners.
I agree that there is no stronger force than prayer. However, you must also realize that in order to live as lights in the world, we must actually live differently than the world. Thus, Christ calls us to action.
I'm only saying this because I have seen too many Christians despair of "politicking"--their response to political failure has been to create a Christian ghetto. Obviously, the Christian subculture is not salt any more than a Christian chameleon is salt.
So, then, what is required is a balance.
Prayer leads to action. This action might entail loving someone that is hard to love--a sinner. We must remember that Christ chose to love us, as hard as we are to love.
But...this action may also entail the lobbying of the government, or a vote in an election, or a letter to a senator, etc.
The last thing we need is for the Christian community to become disconnected from society.

Jacob said...

Lindsay,
First, I would point out that my post doesn't necessarily disagree with the point you are trying to make. I am not necessarily arguing for an all-out Christian exodus from politics, but I am suggesting that we spend more time petitioning the real power over what happens in this world (and this country).

Second, what I was trying to say (but didn't actually come out and say) dovetails nicely with your what you said:

"Prayer leads to action. This action might entail loving someone that is hard to love--a sinner. We must remember that Christ chose to love us, as hard as we are to love.
But...this action may also entail the lobbying of the government, or a vote in an election, or a letter to a senator, etc. "

Exactly! I was trying to encourage prayer because I think that the only way we can understand what we are supposed to do in relation to all of this is through convictions and revelations from God. You just said it better than I did.